4 naartjies, unpealed
1 vanilla pod
350 g self raising flour
6 extra large eggs
250 g caster sugar
Seeds from 5 cardamom pods, pods discarded
Icing sugar for dusting
Simmer together 175 ml caster sugar, 175 ml water and the juice of 2 naartjies. Remove from heat when it starts to boil.
- Place naartjies in a saucepan, cover with water and cook for an hour, then drain.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Split vanilla seed and scrape out the seeds.
- Remove the pips from the naartjies.
- Mix all the iingredients together in a blender until smooth.
- Poor the mixture into a greased cake pan (25 mm) and bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and pour over the syrup. Let the cake cool.
- Dust with icing sugar.